Monday, February 19, 2007

Learn To Fly

Did you ever have a dream where you were flying? I have, many times, I have dreamed of running and jumping into the air then rising up higher and higher, flying with just my body and mind. I had the idea that I had to concentrate on believing that I could really fly to get off the ground and to maintain flight. This dream became a reality the first time I ran down a hill with a hang glider strapped to my back and my feet left the ground. I relive that moment every time I launch a hang glider or para glider even now 29 years later, the thrill is still there. Taking a few steps with a paraglider over your head and gently lifting off the earth is in my opinion the closest feeling to that dream flight. The glider is up and out of sight and you have no visible means of support, very dream like. This is the feeling when training with the tow system on flat ground.You pull the glider up into the air and as you move forward the tow operator begins to pull you into the air, as if by magic you rise up a few feet and glide along effortlessly until the tow slows and you gently touch down. This is repeated with a little more height added each time, so that after several tows you are climbing up to 30 feet and feeling very comfortable. Practicing gentle turns and perfecting the flair for landing will take up the remainder of the lesson. The next couple of lessons will build on these basic skills, adding to your comfort level in a step by step process, with the emphasis on fun!